Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mantra Maker

So, I got a little excited last night when I found a facebook listing of Running Mantras.  I haven't picked my own yet, but I totally see the point of them!  ---and then I got REALLY excited when this HTML clueless girl figured out how to make a Scrolling Mantra List for my blog (see lower right sidebar)!  Here are some tips that I thought were helpful:



From:  Runner's World


Mantra Maker
How to put together your perfect phrase

Keep it short
Your mantra should be an affirmation, not a novel. "When you're tired, you don't want something elaborate," says Stephen Walker. "It's too hard to remember." Keep it to five seconds or less.

Stay positive
Think of the problem you're trying to counteract and turn it around. "If you're feeling weak, your mantra should be I am strong," says Walker.

Make it energetic
Your mantra should center on action verbs or strong adjectives, not abstract phrases, says Robert J. Bell. Look for words that convey energy, like "fast," "strong," or "power."

Embed instructions
Use the mantra to remind yourself what you plan to do or how you want to feel as you're running, says Walker. Now is the time; go for it. Or, Run relaxed. Finish strong.


BUILD IT, BELIEVE IT, BECOME IT
Choose one word from each section below to create a motivational, get-it-done power chant.

A
Run
Go
Stride
Sprint
Be 

B
Strong
Fast
Quick
Light
Fierce

C
Think
Feel 
Embrace
Be
Hold

D
Power
Speed
Brave
Bold
Courage

No comments:

Post a Comment