Friday, November 18, 2011

Performance Thoughts

Just a couple thoughts today...  pacing.

Since recovering from my ankle injury, I've been pretty slow, and it was really bothering me.  I was running around a 12 minute mile.  (My previous 5K pace average was around 10:30).  But, just within the past couple weeks, I've been noticing a little turn around!

  • Running at North Park, my phone was giving me split times of 10:15 for my first lap-- and I had intended on really taking it easy, knowing how far I had to go.  It was fun making times like that without trying!  My second lap went slower because I was pretty tired, but I averaged 11:27 for the whole 10 miles.  I thought that was pretty good for as many walk breaks I included the second lap!
  • My 5 mile yesterday, I was hitting times close to that.  When I realized how well I was doing, I set a goal for averaging under 11, including warm up and cool down walks.  I hit 11, on the dot.  Bummer.
  • Today, my "assignment" was 3 miles at half marathon pace- which is significantly slower than 5K pace. However, it was beautiful out (for November) the sun was shining, and having only 3 miles to go, I got a little over excited when I was doing 9:50 splits!
Then I recalled I was supposed to be doing half marathon pace.  Bummer.  I tried to slow myself down- but that's really hard knowing you only have 3 miles!

A HA!  That was the point!  I need to learn how to control my pace- no matter what the weather's like, no matter how far I have to go- I need to learn to control it.  Me.  If I start out too fast in the Half next year, I won't make it.  I'll have to control myself- and really not take into account all the people around me.  My goal is to complete it, and that will be winning for me.



Mind control.  It's going to take some practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment