Friday, October 21, 2011

Chocolate Pancakes for Breakfast!

Yes, we're running low on the breakfast materials, so the girls requested pancakes.  Again.

I try to make them as healthy as I can, by adding pureed stuff from the magical Vita-Mix.  So, with the Sneaky Chef in mind... today's goal: Chocolate Pancakes.

What goes into Chocolate Pancakes that could possibly make them HEALTHY, you ask?  Spinach and blueberries.  (and cocoa powder and a pinch of instant coffee to bring out the chocolate flavor).  Perhaps I put a little too much spinach in mine, eh?

Yes, I know, green pancakes, yuck, right?  I had the flash on the camera, so they actually look a lot greener here than they did in person.  Rather than keep adding stuff, and totally screwing it up, I just went with it.  (with a few added chocolate chips)  The verdict:  They tasted like warm, buttery chocolate CAKE!  No butter or syrup needed!  SCORE!!  

I know you won't believe ME, so...

2 comments:

  1. I didn't measure things out, but here's the basic recipe:

    1/2 c. blueberries
    2c. spinach (less if you don't want it green, but it may taste a little fruity)
    1c. water
    1T unsweetened dark cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp instant coffee

    Blend. Then mix with:

    1 1/2 Hungry Jack Pancake Mix

    Cook as normal, sprinkling a few chocolate chips into each one as they are cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, and I had to stop Makenna after 4 of them. YOU CANNOT TASTE THE SPINACH AT ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete