Thursday, October 27, 2011

A few Healthy Tipping Point thoughts

A Healthy Tipping Point is when all the small decisions you make add up to something big.  I had a HTP moment this morning.


Confession: I am really bad at getting my fruits and veggies in.  Granted, the smoothies have helped me tremendously, but Joella says  that I need to be spreading my fruits and veggies out throughout the day as well... not just all in one sitting.  Apparently, this is the healthy thing to do  ;-) .  I know she's right, and I've been trying really hard, but it's almost as if my body goes into defiance mode sometimes.  I really do like apples.  But there are times of day when if I see an apple, I'll just want to throw it out the window, yet alone eat it.  


This morning wasn't one of those mornings.  I'm just not hungry, but I need to eat before I go out for a run.  First thought: If I just eat my yogurt, then I'll save some calories!  It's not often that I'm not hungry in the mornings.  Then, my HTP buzzers started going off in my head.  Recognize: this is a chance I have to make a smart choice.  So I ate the apple.  1 F/V down... at least 4 more to go!  It's so ridiculously simple, yet, the small decisions add up.


The thought that eventually pushed me over the edge to just eat the darn apple (with my yogurt) was 'parking lots'.  Yes, parking lots.


See, I've probably mentioned it before, but my head makes sense of things by using metaphors and comparisons.  So I compared the decision of eating the apple, to, when I run Graham Park- it's a basically flat, straight shot out and back.  But, I choose to run around the parking lots sometimes along the way instead of heading straight for the trails.  Those little 'ventures' add up, and make a significant difference in (okay, get this...) "the long run"!  AND, it's kind of a mind trick too, because it doesn't seem like you're adding that much to your run... but little bits add up!  (Since I'm being corny anyway :-)... and with the apple... little 'bites' add up!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment