Friday, October 14, 2011

Mind Games (2)- Carrie's Tricks

For a long run, one thing I do (and I don't even know if I can explain it well!) is I try to maintain the thought that I have just begun the run and still feel fresh. For example, during really, really long runs (including marathon day) I count "up" the miles as each is completed. Rather than thinking "I have 10 more miles to go" I try to think to myself that I'm heading towards mile 17, keeping a forward motion instead of a countdown. Near the end of a run it's difficult to NOT feel a little antsy just to be done. By holding back mentally and feeling like I've just begun, my patience remains in tact and I can enjoy the run better.

And you certainly can't go wrong with good music! I regularly do zumba and have quite a few of our zumba songs on my ipod. Then I can go through the song's zumba routine in my mind and at that point mentally I am in the zumba class...not running in thr pouring rain!



Thank You Carrie!  


What are YOUR tricks?  Click on the "Mind Games" link in the right column to share your secrets!  Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment